KAjwhriuw024hvjbed2SORH

An explosion erupts following strikes near Azadi Tower close to Mehrabad International Airport in Tehran on March 7, 2026. Photo: Atta Kenare / AFP / Lehtikuva

International news
Tools
Typography

The war between the United States, Israel, and Iran intensified on its eighth day as air strikes continued across Iran and retaliatory missile strikes spread across the Middle East. Washington demanded Iran’s unconditional surrender while Tehran vowed to continue resistance and retaliatory attacks against US and Israeli military targets in the region.

United States and Israeli forces launched new waves of air attacks across Iran on Saturday as the conflict entered its second week. Explosions were reported across Tehran while Israeli military officials said more than 80 fighter jets had struck infrastructure overnight.

The campaign began on 28 February with an unprovoked and unannounced coordinated attack on Iranian military and civilian targets. Since then, US Central Command reported more than 3,000 targets struck across Iran and dozens of naval vessels destroyed.

Casualties have mounted rapidly. Iranian authorities report that at least 1,332 people have been killed in the strikes. Civilian areas, including homes, hospitals, and schools, have also been damaged. The first day of the attacks saw the tragic strike of the United States on a girls’ school, which killed over 140 primary school girls. Another US/Israeli attack on a school has killed at least 18 children and injured many others.

US President Donald Trump said the campaign would continue until Iran surrendered. Writing on his Truth Social platform, Trump said: “There will be no deal with Iran except unconditional surrender.”

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters the operation could last four to six weeks. She said the goal was to destroy Iran’s military capability and prevent further attacks against Israel and US interests.

Iran rejected the demand for surrender. President Masoud Pezeshkian said Iran would defend its sovereignty and continue strikes against what he described as sources of aggression.

“We stand and resist to the end to defend our country,” Pezeshkian said in remarks posted online. He added that Iranian forces were targeting US bases and installations in the region rather than neighbouring countries.

Pezeshkian also issued an apology to Gulf states after missile and drone strikes hit several countries hosting US military facilities. Pezeshkian said Iran would no longer attack neighbouring states unless attacks against Iran originated from their territory.

Soon after, however, a missile originating from Bahrain hit a desalination plant in Iran, and retaliatory attacks continued across the region. Iranian missiles and drones targeted military installations in several Gulf states, including Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

Authorities in Qatar reported intercepting most of ten drones launched towards the country. Saudi air defences also destroyed several drones heading towards oil facilities near Riyadh.

Jordan said Iranian forces had launched 119 missiles and drones towards installations inside its territory during the first week of the conflict. Military officials said most of the projectiles had been intercepted.

Air travel across the Gulf region faced heavy disruption. Dubai International Airport briefly suspended operations after explosions were reported near the airport before partial service resumed later in the day.

In eastern Lebanon, Israeli forces carried out an operation near the town of Nabi Chit, which resulted in dozens of casualties after intense air raids. Hezbollah said its fighters clashed with Israeli troops during the operation.

Israel said the raid aimed to locate information about missing pilot Ron Arad, who disappeared during a mission over Lebanon in 1986.

Hezbollah responded with rocket attacks against northern Israel and issued evacuation warnings for residents near the border.

Lebanese authorities reported more than 200 people killed since the start of the fighting.

Inside Israel, repeated missile attacks from Iran have triggered air raid sirens across major cities, including Tel Aviv and Beersheba. Israeli air defence systems intercepted some of the incoming projectiles, but many missiles landed, and explosions were reported during several waves of strikes. Israel has strictly forbidden posting of footage of impacts and destruction caused by Iranian retaliation.

Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke by phone with Pezeshkian and expressed condolences for those killed in the attacks and urged a diplomatic solution. The Kremlin has condemned the attacks on Iran and the murder of its leader and his family.

US officials said Russia may be sharing intelligence on American military positions with Iran. Washington did not confirm details but said the situation was under review.

European countries have begun deploying military assets to the region to support allies and protect shipping routes. Britain pledged fighter jets, helicopters, and a naval destroyer to defend Saudi Arabia if required.

Spain has not allowed US bases in the country to be used for attacking Iran and has been the only European country which has clearly condemned the war started by the US and Israel.

Meanwhile, protests against the war have taken place in several countries. In London, thousands marched through central streets calling for an end to US and Israeli strikes on Iran.

Humanitarian agencies warn the fighting is creating a growing regional crisis. The United Nations estimates that at least 330,000 people have been displaced across the Middle East since the conflict began.

Military officials in Washington say the scale of the operation is already significant. Analysts estimate the first 100 hours of the campaign cost about $3.7bn, according to research by the Center for Strategic and International Studies. The war is costing US taxpayers an estimated $860 million per day. The The US has officially admitted only 6 casualties, but Iranian, Russian, and Chinese sources say at least 560 American forces have been killed and many more injured.

HT

Partners