Israel deported hundreds of activists detained during the illegal interception of a Gaza-bound aid flotilla after global outcry from governments across Europe, North America and Asia over their treatment in custody.
The activists arrived in Turkiye on Thursday after Israeli forces intercepted more than 50 boats in international waters west of Cyprus earlier this week. Organisers said the Global Sumud Flotilla carried more than 430 people from over 40 countries and aimed to challenge Israel’s blockade of Gaza.
Israeli authorities said all foreign nationals detained during the operation had been removed from the country. Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Oren Marmorstein said Israel “will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza”.
Scenes from Istanbul airport showed activists waving Palestinian flags and making victory signs as supporters gathered to greet them. Turkish authorities said 422 people arrived on chartered flights, including 85 Turkish citizens.
The operation triggered diplomatic protests after Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted footage showing detainees kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs. In the video, Ben-Gvir walked through a detention area while activists shouted “Free Palestine”. At one point he waved an Israeli flag and said in Hebrew: “Welcome to Israel. We are the landlords.”
The footage spread across social media and drew condemnation from governments that included France, Italy, Canada, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the treatment of detainees by Israel violated “human dignity”. French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot described the images as “unacceptable”. Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand said Ottawa viewed the matter with “absolute urgency”.
Britain summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded an explanation. British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper described the footage as “totally disgraceful scenes”.
The Dutch government also summoned Israel’s ambassador. Portugal condemned what it called “intolerable behaviour”. Spain’s Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares called the treatment “monstrous”.
The criticism extended beyond Europe. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung questioned the legal basis for the operation and asked whether Israel had authority to seize foreign vessels in international waters. Indonesia demanded the release of detained citizens and said all diplomatic channels remained active.
According to Al Jazeera and Reuters, several activists said they faced physical abuse during detention. Belgian participant Julien Cabral told AFP he suffered injuries after an Israeli marine struck him during the raid on his boat. Italian journalist Alessandro Mantovani said Israeli forces beat detainees and transported them to Ben Gurion airport “in handcuffs and with chains on our feet”.
The Israeli legal rights group Adalah said lawyers documented reports of broken ribs, breathing problems and the use of Tasers and rubber bullets. The organisation also accused Israeli authorities of degrading treatment and sexual humiliation during detention procedures.
The Israel Prison Service rejected the accusations and described them as false.
The diplomatic fallout reached inside Israel’s government. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the interception itself but criticised Ben-Gvir’s conduct.
“Israel has every right to prevent provocative flotillas of Hamas terrorist supporters from entering our territorial waters and reaching Gaza,” Netanyahu said in a statement. “However, the way that Minister Ben-Gvir dealt with the flotilla activists is not in line with Israel’s values and norms.”
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar also criticised his cabinet colleague. Writing on X, Saar said Ben-Gvir caused damage to Israel through a “disgraceful display”.
The criticism marked a rare public split inside Netanyahu’s coalition government. Ben-Gvir later responded that Israel had “stopped being a pushover”.
The United States also reacted. US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who has supported Israeli government policy throughout the Gaza war, said Ben-Gvir had “betrayed the dignity” of Israel through the publication of the video.
Organisers of the latest flotilla said the boats carried food, baby formula and medical supplies for Gaza’s population. Israel rejects those claims and portrays the mission as a political stunt designed to support Hamas.
The United Nations said conditions inside Gaza remain severe despite aid deliveries since the ceasefire agreed last year. UN agencies reported shortages of fuel, damaged sanitation systems and overcrowded shelters across the territory.
According to Palestine's health ministry, more than 72,000 people have died in Gaza since the start of Israel’s genocidal war.
Finnish officials confirmed on Friday that three Finnish activists detained during the operation had left Israel and arrived in Turkiye. Finland’s foreign ministry said Israeli authorities sought to deport detainees quickly following the international reaction.
One detainee remains in Israeli legal proceedings. Adalah said Israeli citizen Zohar Regev appeared before a court in Ashkelon accused of illegal entry into Israel.
HT
























































