Domestic
Tools
Typography
The vast majority of Finns are satisfied with public health services in Finland, indicates a survey by Alma Media.
The vast majority of Finns are satisfied with public health services in Finland, indicates a survey by Alma Media.

 

Finns are largely satisfied with public health services in Finland, indicates a survey published on Friday by Alma Media.

The survey found that 27 per cent of respondents who had either used or had a family member use public health services over the past year were very satisfied and 56 per cent satisfied with the services. The total share of satisfied users therefore stood at 83 per cent.

More than one in seven (15%) of respondents said they were dissatisfied with public health services, while 12 per cent said neither they nor their family members had used the services over the past year.

Marina Erhola, the deputy director general at the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), says the results of the survey are not a surprise as they are in line with those of other similar surveys and indicate that concerns that the health care system is facing an impending crisis are not justified.

She also reminds that it is important to bear in mind the big picture.

Basic health care, for example, is not without its problems. Regional and demographic disparities in the availability and quality of services are similarly pronounced, and the demand for services is only set to increase further.

“The Finnish population is ageing very rapidly and the dependency ratio is deteriorating. Even if people are presently satisfied with the services, the pressures for change are enormous. They challenge responsible policy makers and public officials to push the reform package forward,” tells Erhola.

She is convinced that the reform is necessary due to the major reform backlog and growing inequalities in the social and health care system.

“There are plenty of critics and experts who have their own vision for the ideal system. I personally try to approach the issue pragmatically: the alternatives are to stick with the current situation or carry out the long-prepared reform,” she said.

The preparations have already had an impact on efforts to develop the social and health care services.

“We’ve already done a lot of work to integrate the various services. We’ve moved partly in the direction that the reform is pointing in,” stated Erhola.

Aleksi Teivainen – HT
Photo: Roni Rekomaa – Lehtikuva
Source: Uusi Suomi

Finland in the world press

Helsinki Finland Sunny, 21 °C
Current Conditions
Sunrise: 5:40 am   |   Sunset: 9:7 pm
64%     6.3 m/s     34.406 bar
Forecast
Fri Low: 13 °C High: 22 °C
Sat Low: 17 °C High: 20 °C
Sun Low: 16 °C High: 19 °C
Mon Low: 12 °C High: 20 °C
Tue Low: 11 °C High: 19 °C
Wed Low: 10 °C High: 19 °C
Thu Low: 13 °C High: 19 °C
Fri Low: 11 °C High: 19 °C
Sat Low: 13 °C High: 20 °C
Sun Low: 14 °C High: 20 °C

Partners